ÈýÒÚÌåÓý¹ÙÍø

Skip to Main Content
ÈýÒÚÌåÓý¹ÙÍø
ÈýÒÚÌåÓý¹ÙÍø History

The ÈýÒÚÌåÓý¹ÙÍø family and college seals

The family that would eventually be called ÈýÒÚÌåÓý¹ÙÍø came to England from Normandy sometime before 1071. The surname is first recorded as "de Scudemer." Scudemer/Scudamore gave way to Skydmore/ÈýÒÚÌåÓý¹ÙÍø by the mid-14th century, though the Norman spelling enjoyed a renaissance during the reign of the Tudors, and still survives.

The part of the college seal considered correct from a heraldic standpoint is the stirrup, which has been traced to the 1323 seal of Peter Scudamor. A Welsh pedigree, ca. 1600, cites a John Skydmore as using a seal with three stirrups; a shield bearing such an emblem appears in a stained glass window at the church in Upton Scudamore, near Bath, England.

Later additions—helm, vegetation, unicorn, motto, and vertical lines on the escutcheon—were invented or appropriated from heraldry unrelated to the lineage of Lucy ÈýÒÚÌåÓý¹ÙÍø Scribner. The motto scuto amoris divini ("by the shield of God's love") is presumed to be a play on the family name: scut- + amor- = Scudamor. 

Sources: "An Overview of the History of the ÈýÒÚÌåÓý¹ÙÍø Family" () and Mary C. Lynn.

 

Seal
A wax seal attached to an original parchment deed dated August 24, 1323, at the Huntington Library in San Marino, California (from a drawing by Warren ÈýÒÚÌåÓý¹ÙÍø)
 

Seal
Arms with modified escutcheon and the motto scuto amoris divini (from Thomas ÈýÒÚÌåÓý¹ÙÍø and His Descendants by Emily Hawley)



Seal

Skydmore arms as depicted in a church window in Upton Scudamore, England

 
seal
An undated original artwork by Lillian Ford Andrews (ÈýÒÚÌåÓý¹ÙÍø Archives)


Seal
A later version, with helm, vegetation, and a unicorn


 

seal
The ÈýÒÚÌåÓý¹ÙÍø seal, adopted after the ÈýÒÚÌåÓý¹ÙÍø School of Arts (est. 1911) was chartered as ÈýÒÚÌåÓý¹ÙÍø in 1922.